Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Poem for Rizana Nafeek (A Sri Lankan domestic worker sentenced to death by beheading in Saudi Arabia)

Today the sky cast
a different shade of blue
Dimness, daylight, doves and tears
tells me I must do something for you,
Rizana...

Precious Rizana,my fellow Overseas Contract Worker,
lend me your ear as I speak,
hear the words from my heart that cares
to share your unfathomable throes.

I care for you
and the cries of your heart,
your adolescent heart that never
fully experienced the freedom of a teenager
because of poverty, hunger...

You embraced the responsibility that somehow
belongs to your parents but I know,
I truly understand it all;
the pain behind the sentiments between cycle and role
of poverty...

Behind those bars,
inside those walls
I can see you;
A lone white dove
with fractured wings
that was never taught to sing
unjustly
sentenced to death…….
By the most barbaric means

How heartbreaking is that scene?
You left your home for your family
and there you lay with a cold blank stare
away, so, so far away from home,
inside that cold prison, wither
by the fear, sorrow, pains, longing
of a daughter to hug her mother
of a daughter to kiss his father
of a sister....
that will soon became part of the history?

As the air grew thin
with the smell of death and fear
I felt the freezing cold
rushing through my veins
upon holding the rugs and brooms
both arduous and distressing
as tears escape twin streams of my soul.

I saw the executioner on my pc screen,
the rituals,
the swords,

I heard and listened to his testimony
word by word
like cutting daggers pressed into my heart.

So is this how it’s going to end?
Rizana...

Visions of sky turned black
as the twilight came
and the concluding curtain fell
for you..
at a very young age,
a hero to her family,
to the OCW's...
is so unacceptable. cruel…

I will pray for you
Rizana....
I, Airyn

No comments:

Post a Comment